In 1938, John Goodno moved to Norman, working as a watch repairman for McCurley Jewelry. In 1944, he started on his own, with a repair bench and selling watch bands. Soon, he opened his first store next to the Sooner Theatre, on Main Street.
Many of his customers were Navy personnel stateside here during WWII. During the next few years, he moved Goodno’s Jewelry to several locations on Main Street, moving eastward, eventually situating at 217 East Main, our current location.
In 1964, Mr. Goodno’s daughter and son-in-law, Barbara & Mack McGuckin, joined the staff at Goodno’s Jewelry. The store continued to grow, but with a gradual change of the type of merchandise being offered. Gone are the cameras, luggage, and appliances. Featured now are diamonds, wedding rings, karat gold jewelry, colored precious stone jewelry, clocks, watches and gifts.
Another facet of the store has always been service to our customers. This has been manifested by not only jewelry and clock repair but an attention to the serving of our customers’ needs with their selection of just the right piece of jewelry for that special someone. For 70 years and three generations, our goal is still to serve our loyal customers with the best possible personal service.